Call us to schedule an inspection!
Southern California: (310) 396-6532
Northern California: (510) 868-1184
Lead is a heavy metal that causes neurological damage and can lead to mental and physical handicaps in children and adults. Up until 1978, lead pigment was manufactured for use in most household and industrial paints in the United States. Over the years, the degradation of this paint has caused thousands of cases a year of lead poisoning in California alone. Lead paint chips and dust from furniture, walls, and other building components contaminate living and working spaces.
When lead paint is in good condition, it does not inherently pose a lead poisoning hazard. However, if the lead paint is disturbed by remodeling, demolition, or just normal deterioration over a long period of time, a lead dust exposure hazard is created.
Our California Department of Public Health-certified lead inspectors and lead-sampling technicians will inspect your property for lead-painted components and lead-contaminated dust and soil. They will provide you with a report and consultation outlining actions that can be taken to resolve any lead paint issues associated with remodeling, demolition, or peace of mind.
In addition to using the XRF instrument for lead paint inspections, we can perform wipe sample testing. The more deteriorated the lead paint is, the greater the risk that it will add to the dust in your house. For this reason, we also do wipe sampling of floors and window sills near affected areas. These wipe samples can be analyzed on site – that is, in your home — with our XRF analyzer/device, and/or sent to an EPA-certified lab.
Once any repainting, construction/remodeling/abatement has been completed, Environmental Inspection Services can test to confirm that lead hazard no longer is present.
Lead is an especially potent toxin for young children. Although the EPA and FDA have established standards for levels of lead in the blood that are considered lead poisoning, there is no safe level of lead to have in your system. This is why Environmental Inspection Services recommends minimizing lead exposure hazards around the house.
If your house, condo, apartment was built before 1978, lead from paint that can degrade into floor dust, window dust, and soil dust. It gets onto kids clothes, hands and face, and then into their mouths or lungs.
It’s also important to look at your neighborhood. Are you near a busy street? There will be lead in soil and dust, left over from old leaded gasoline. This dust gets tracked into your house and can end up in your children’s lungs.
Specific cleaning can be a short-term strategy. Removing or covering contaminated soil, refinishing or replacing doors, cabinets, windows can be a long-term strategy. You may want to test household items for lead — dishes, mugs, furniture, kid’s jewelry, toys, etc.